Saturday, March 07, 2009

Food and emotions

I fell back into my previous way of eating for a few days, although I am back on track now. It's clear to me that my relationship with food is a little more emotional than it should be.

I have been reading up on emotional eating, and a lot of the advice advocates re-thinking food as a fuel rather than a friend. This is valid in a way, but not something that I really want to embrace. The thing is, I believe that food IS more than fuel. It's a sacred thing. I don't want to treat it like gasoline or electricity.

What I'd prefer is to focus on building positive emotional relationships with healthier foods (and to break up with ice cream!). To be honest, this is a lot easier in spring and summer when fresh, high-quality produce is abundant. I don't want to make too many excuses, but let's just say that I'm excited that winter is almost over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home