Friday, January 28, 2005

Sauteed Catfish Recipe (and thoughts on greens)

This was a tasty recipe. However, I realized after I was halfway through it, that the recipe called for FOUR tablespoons of butter and another tablespoon of oil. Granted, the result was a lemon-butter sauce, but I felt it was a bit "OVERKILL". Too much fat for not enough result, and besides, there was way too much sauce. I'll try cutting down on the fat next time.

Also, I forgot the capers; I'll try them next time. I need to see what the prices on catfish are like at Wild Oats; hopefully more affordable than wild salmon. The King Soopers fish counter is pretty scary (although the wild salmon in their case looked ok, not as expensive as WO).

Sauteed Fish Fillets (serves 2)

1/2-3/4 lb. fish fillets, 1/4 inch thick
4 T. butter
1 T. EVOO
2 T. lemon juice
flour for dredging
salt and pepper

Salt and pepper the fillets. Heat a skillet over med-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Put in 2 T. of butter and wait until it stops foaming. Dredge the fillets in flour; add the oil to the pan, then put in the fillets. Cook until golden on both sides, about 2.5-3 minutes a side. Pull the fillets out of the pan, turn off the heat, melt the extra butter then add the lemon juice (scrape the tasty brown bits off the bottom of the skillet). Wait 15 sec. then pour sauce over the fillets. EAT.

VERDICT: THIS RECIPE WORKS.

I served the fillet on a bed of mixed greens. I will be using that trick quite a bit if I start making fish more often, especially with an accompanying sauce. The sauce provides light salad dressing, the greens provide crunch and well...vitamins. Plus it looks really pretty! I took pictures. I'm halfway through the disposable camera, so another few weeks of cooking and you should be able to see it...if I can figure out how to use Picasa and Hello.

The roasted cauliflower turned out just OK - I think the heat needs to be higher to get some real carmelization going. I think it has potential though, and cauliflower's pretty cheap compared to asparagus, etc. ...I'll be working to perfect the cauliflower recipe, and I'll let you know what I discover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home