Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Linguini Carbonara

Cookbooks always seem to mention carbonara (or "coal miner's pasta) as a classic and well-known dish, but I had never had it before I made it for myself about a year ago. Since then, it's become one of my favorites. How can you not like a pasta dish, the main ingredients of which are bacon, eggs, and cheese? If this were not so full of saturated fat, it would be my everyday go-to pasta dish. (there is a version made with zucchini instead of bacon that's quite good but not the same)

To make carbonara:

1. Boil water for 1 lb. long pasta
2. Cut 1/4 lb. bacon into small pieces (use the best bacon you can find; NOT honey smoked, the flavors will not work that well!)
3. Cook the bacon in 1 T. olive oil until crisp; drain and set aside.
4. Cook pasta; while the pasta is cooking, beat 2 eggs and mix in 1/2 c. grated parmesan (NOT the stuff that comes in a green can, although good pre-shredded is acceptable).
5. Drain pasta; toss with egg/cheese mixture, and bacon. Add lots of black pepper, and more salt if it needs it (bacon and cheese are both pretty salty, so you shouldn't need much).
6. EAT

Very simple. Don't worry, the egg cooks enough because of the hot pasta that it won't give you salmonella.

I'm making this tonight! (along with some more cooked kale, so I can feel less decadent)

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger The Bloggers @ 67 Wine said...

This is one of my favorite dishes, especially when my wife gets us farm fresh eggs (from a coworker).

I will suggest that you try for pancetta instead of bacon. It's the same cut of meat, but it's cured, not smoked. I use bacon in a pinch, but pancetta is meatier and not as smoky.

Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home